Victorian Mosaic Floor Tile Restoration Services
Our restoration services provide tried and tested solutions for the preservation of period geometric and mosaic tiled flooring.
Damage to such floors is rectified sensitively in order to stabilise and enhance these fine mosaic schemes whilst the cleaning and sealing process refreshes and reinvigorates these wonderful historic designs.
Victorian floor tile restoration commonly involves the careful removal of damaged sections of mosaic, replacing damaged or missing areas with tiles cut to match the dimensions of the originals.
Where appropriate we aim to carry out repairs with salvaged tiles and closely match colours with modern equivalents.
Loose areas of geometric tiles are lifted and reinstalled at the correct level. The tiles are then chemically cleaned to remove ingrained dirt and residues.
Tiled floors became unfashionable during the 1970's and 1980's, most were simply covered up with carpet or vinyl flooring. If you own a period property or are about to purchase one, be sure to check under the existing flooring for these period tiled features.
Issues when discovering a Victorian tiled floor
- Lead holes - This is an older method of fixing carpet to floors. Holes are drilled and infilled with molten lead, a nail is then driven into the lead to hold the carpet in place. This causes significant damage to the single and surrounding tiles. When restoring, the tiles need to be excavated and disposed of and replaced with new or salvaged tiles of a matching colour. Often this type of damage is at consistent intervals around the perimeter of the floor and as such usually the entire line of tiles will have suffered damaged.
- Carpet gripper rod - This is normally bonded to the surface of the tiles with a glue. In most cases these gripper rods can be easily removed with a flat edged tool and mallet, a few taps will separate the rod from the tiles as the type of glue used tends to be quite brittle. Any residue should be cleaned back with an appropriate thinner.
- Carpet Underlay - This often causes marks on the tiles if it is been down for some time. The rubber of the underlay breaks down and is absorbed to a degree by the tiles depending on their porosity, these appear as shadow like marks consistent with the undulations of the underlay. This can be cleaned back with a suitable chemical.
- Dry and porous tiles - Often floors if carpeted over for a long period tend to be quite dry and dusty. This does have an effect on the floor and deteriorates its condition rather than protects it.
- Other damage - Cracked and missing tiles will likely be near areas of heavy traffic such as stairs and thresholds. These tiles if loose should be lifted and re-set, and if damaged, replaced with original salvaged material or colour matched modern tiles
- Cleaning - The area will need to be cleaned thoroughly with an appropriate detergent in order to remove ingrained dirt and residue. Old sealants can also be removed with the correct treatments.
- Drying - It is important that the floor is dry before applying a sealant.
- Sealing - There are many types of sealant available depending on the required finish and maintenance program.
General care and maintenance of interior floor tile schemes
- Try to keep dust free and vacuum once a week.
- Mop regularly with luke warm water.
- When using detergent, ensure it is compatible with any sealant that may have been used on the floor. Always follow manufactures guidelines and consult the fitter or restorer of the floor.
- Strong chemicals are not advised for regular maintenance.
- Ask your tiler or restorer for advice with on-going maintenance once works have been completed and request a data sheet on the products used.
Restored traditional Victorian period hall floor tiles
Reproduction Victorian Mosaic Floor Tile Supply
Why Choose London Mosaic
We supply a high quality range of traditional Victorian floor tiles suitable for interior and exterior use.
Our geometric schemes encompass the Victorian, Georgian and Edwardian periods, including a range of modern designs.
For a hard wearing, practical and elegant flooring solution we have the most extensive range of tile designs for both the traditional and contemporary home.
We offer full customisation of all our designs, from colourways to patterns. Contact our design team to discuss your requirements.
Sheeted Victorian floor tiles
From classic black and white tiles to decorative multi-colour mosaics, we offer our designs in a sheeted format.
Our unique tile sheeting service provides an easy solution to ensure complex Victorian floor tile designs are installed accurately and efficiently.
Individual geometric tiles are carefully assembled by hand into repeating sections that tessellate to create decorative traditional designs.